Frequently Asked Questions


Q: How do I contact Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton?

A: Congresswoman Norton has three offices in which you may call, write, or fax your issues or concerns.  Normal business hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M to 6:00 P.M. Click here for the contact information for these offices.  You may also email Congresswoman Norton.


Q: How can Congresswoman Norton assist me?

A: One of the most important functions of the Congressional District Office is to help Congresswoman Norton assist her constituents with problems that they may be having with various federal government agencies.  While Norton is happy to make inquiries on behalf of her constituents, she cannot order agencies to take action, or force them to resolve matters in a constituent's favor.  However, she can insist that a federal entity provide a full explanation or hearing to her constituents.  Over the years, her trained caseworkers have developed a reputation for compassion, high energy, great courtesy, and real results.


Her caseworkers are available to assist with problems within federal agencies such as: the Social Security Administration, Immigration and Naturalization Service, Department of Veterans Affairs, Small Business Administration, Internal Revenue Service, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and other federal entities such as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Peace Corps, Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Armed Forces.


Click here for privacy release form.  Submit your privacy release form when requesting general assistance, mortgage modification assistance, immigration, and passport assistance and the Congresswoman can begin the process of making a congressional inquiry on your behalf.  You may contact Congresswoman Norton's District Office at (202)408-9041 between the hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.  You mcan also walk in or call to schedule an appointment.  Please note that the normal response time for most inquiries is approximately four to eight weeks.


Q: Why can't the Congresswoman assist me and what is outside of her federal jurisdiction?

A: Congresswoman Norton does not have jurisdiction  over local District government agencies or the courts of law.  Problems with local law enforcement, fire, zoning and other municipal services are matters that are outside of her federal jurisdiction, but in some instances she may refer you to a local entity that may be able to help you.  See Local D.C. Government.


Regulations on congressional ethics also prevent the Congresswoman from giving anyone legal advice, but she can provide her constituents with a list of legal resources, and many of these organizations provide free services.  Click here for a list of legal services. 


The long standing tradition of congressional courtesy requires a Member of Congress to be given the opportunity to assist the constituents that she or he was elected to represent.  If you are not a D.C. resident, then the Congresswoman can only refer you to your Member of Congress.  If you would like to write your Representative or if you have no knowledge of who your Representative is please click here.


Q: What is my Congressional District?

A:  Congresswoman Norton's Congressional District is DC00.  If you do not know what congressional district you live in, just click here and at the top left hand corner of the page, you can type in your zip-code and find your representative.


Q: How Does Congress Work?

A: Learn how laws are made and how laws are enacted.


Q: How does Congresswoman Norton vote on legislation?

A: Congresswoman Norton does not vote on final passage of legislation but can vote on amendments in the Committee of the Whole.  Some of her "yea" votes were: to prohibit workplace discrimination against gay, lesbian, and bisexual workers, support for hydropower energy, more funding for victims of crimes, more funding to create 100,000 new housing vouchers, increase funding to combat domestic violence, require all light bulbs purchased by the federal government to be "energy star compliant.

Some of her "nea" votes were: against eliminating summer work programs for teenagers, an amendment that would have undermined green building standards, retaining the ban on D.C. funding for needle exchange after she got appropriators to remove the rider, reducing student financial aid, imposing a seven year-limit on Section 8 housing, cutting federal funding for Amtrak, eliminating funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and eliminating AmeriCorp public service program.


Q: What legislation did Congresswoman Norton sponsor and cosponsor and what Committees does she serve on?

A: Norton is the chair of the House Subcommittee on Economic Development, Emergency Management, and Public Buildings. She is also a member of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Committee on Homeland Security and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.  Click here for a list of bills in which Congresswoman Norton is the chief sponsor of legislation and for bills that she has cosponsored.


Q: How can I request a U.S. Flag to be flown over the U.S. Capitol?

A: If you are a resident of the District of Columbia, please contact Congresswoman Norton's Capitol Hill Office at (202) 225-8050 regarding arranging for a U.S. flag to be flown over the U.S. Capitol. Click here to submit a request.


Q: How Can I request a Tour of the White House and the Capitol?

A: You may contact the Capitol Hill Office at (202) 225-8050 or you may click here to submit your request for White House, U.S. Capitol, and other congressional tours.  


Q: How can I request a meeting with Congresswoman Norton?

A: Invitations to events and requests for meetings can be submitted to, mailed to the Capitol Hill Office, or faxed to (202) 225-3002.

Q: How can I request an interview with Congresswoman Norton?

A: All press inquiries should be directed to Congresswoman Norton's Communications Director, Daniel van Hoogstraten, by calling (202) 225-8050.


Q: How do I seek a nomination from Congresswoman Norton to attend one of the military academies?

A: As a Member of Congress, Congresswoman Norton is privileged to nominate young women from her Congressional District to the United States Service Academies: The U.S. Air Force Academy, The U.S. Naval Academy, The U.S. Military Academy and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.  The academies select their appointees from among her nominees.   Click here to learn more and to obtain an application. You may also contact the N.E. Congressional District Office at (202) 408-9041 for further information.


Q: Does Congresswoman Norton participate in the Congressional Arts Competition?

A: Yes, Congresswoman Norton works with teachers and students of the District of Columbia Public School System for their participation in her annual Congressional Arts Competition.  Artwork created by the District's first place winner is displayed for one year inside the U.S. Capitol along with other first place national winners. All public and private D.C. students, grades 8 to 12, are eligible to participate.  Competition categories include painting, drawing, collage, printmaking, photography, and computer-generated art.  Artwork is judged by a panel of distinguished artists and curators. For further information, click here or contact the N.E. Congressional District Office at (202)783-5065.


Q: How Can I find out about Congresswoman Norton's annual events

A: Click here for a list of Congresswoman Norton's annual events.


Q: When is Congresswoman Norton going to be in my neighborhood?

A: Congresswoman Norton brings Constituent Services to your neighborhood!  Learn More Here. 


Q: How can I get a letter of greetings from Congresswoman Norton? 

A: The Congresswoman provides letters of greetings for constituents and organizations/businesses within her Congressional District.  You may request a letter of greeting for a church anniversary, class reunion, conference, graduating classes, retirement, wedding anniversary and many more.  First, you must submit your request here.  In your request, please note a deadline date to ensure that the letter is ready at the date that you request it.  Please allow a minimum of 10 business days for all letters to be completed.  Greeting Letters can be picked up or emailed from the N.E. Congressional District Office. For more information, please contact the office at (202) 408-9041 

Also please note that Congressional franking rules only permit the Congresswoman to provide letters of recommendations/support for individuals and/or organizations that she knows personally or with whom she has worked with directly.


Q: How can I get a statement submitted into the Congressional Record from Congresswoman Norton?

A: You must submit this request in writing and fax it to the Congressional Office at (202) 225-3002.  Please provide the Congresswoman with a deadline date for submission of a statement into the Congressional Record. You may contact the Congressional Office at (202) 225-8050 for more information.


Q: Can Congresswoman Norton sponsor a room for me on Capitol Hill?

A:  D.C. residents or organizations/businesses within Congresswoman Norton's District can submit a request for Congresswoman Norton to reserve a room on Capitol Hill for a special event.  The first step is to submit your request via fax to (202) 408-9048.  Your request should include the date in which you would like to hold your event, alternate dates for your event if space is unavailable for the date requested, and the purpose of your event.  Indicate the number of people attending, and list accommodations you will need for hearing and vision impaired persons.  Also specify if the event will require catering, tables and podiums, or audio-visual equipment.

Please note that rooms shall not be used for: profit-making, commercial or political purposes, fundraising, or entertaining tour groups.   Admission fees, cash bars, collections, contributions, door prizes, auctions, raffles, and exchanging money in any form while using the rooms is also prohibited. For more information, please contact the N.E. Congressional District Office at (202) 408-9041.


Q: How do I learn of any grant opportunities?

A: Please contact my Congressional District Office at (202) 408-9041 to learn about grant opportunities.  You may also click here for more information.


Q: Are there any internship opportunities within Congresswoman Norton's office?

A: Every year Congresswoman Norton offers seasonal internships for qualifying high school, undergraduate, and graduate students.  For further information, click here or call (202) 225-8050.